Custom sort WordPress categories display order
Are you sick of having WordPress display your categories in alphabetical order? Would you prefer to custom sort wordpress categories based on which categories YOU find most important to you readers? I know the answer to both questions for me was a definitive YES!
Thankfully, there’s a plugin for that!
Enter the wordpress category custom sort order plugin with the overly confusing name (just ignore that element), “Category Order and Taxonomy Terms Order“. The ‘mini’ version is free and easy to use, allowing you to simply drag-and-drop your categories into the order you want. The wordpress “Category Order and Taxonomy Terms Order” plugin also automatically works with any WordPress Theme.
Here’s how to custom sort WordPress categories orders for your blog:
- From your WordPress Admin Sidebar, click on “Plugins | Add New”
- In the Search form, type “category taxonomy terms order” and click the “Search Plugins” button
- Select the “Category Order and Taxonomy Terms Order” plugin (for me, it’s the first one on the list) and click “Install Now”
- When prompted “Are you sure you want to install this plugin”, click “Yes”
- When the plugin finishes installing itself, click “Activate Plugin”
- From your WordPress Admin Sidebar, click on “Posts | Taxonomy Order”
- Drag and drop your categories into the sort order you want them to display as
- Click the “Update” button, and you’re done! When you view your blog, your categories will automatically display in the custom order you have chosen
Do you have a different preferred plugin for customizing the sort order in which your wordpress categories are displayed? By all means, please let us know what and why in the comments! It would be great to hear of a free plugin that allows for custom hierarchical sorting (ie, subcategories), as this is only available in the $25 paid version of the “Category Order and Taxonomy Terms Order” wordpress plugin…